Year 1 -Key Progression
- Name locate and identify the characteristics of the four countries and the capital cities of the UK and its surrounding seas.
- London is the capital city of England.
- Our school is located in Birkenhead. Birkenhead is in Wirral. Our county is Merseyside.
- Identify and locate on a map the following landmarks/key features in Wirral:
- Our School
- Birkenhead Park
- Bidston Hill
- Tam O’Shanter Farm
- New Brighton
- Fort Perch Rock Lighthouse
- Hoylake and New Brighton Lifeboat Station
Human and Physical Geography
- Know the four seasons and can describe weather patterns and appropriate clothing for each season.
- Record daily weather and explore patterns in weather over time for The Wirral and can compare weather across the UK.
- Use human geographical vocabulary city, town, village, farm, house, shop,
- Use physical geographical vocabulary accurately including beach, coast, hill, sea, river, ocean, season and weather.
Geographical Skills and Fieldwork (New Brighton)
- The four points of a compass: North, South, East and West.
- To know the human and physical features of school, Birkenhead, Wirral, UK using observations, photographs, plans, maps, atlases, aerial photographs
- Focus study on New Brighton and how it has changed over time.