Year 2 - Key Knowledge and Learning Outcomes
Year 2 Key Knowledge
- The world is made up of seven continents: North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia and Antarctica.
- The Republic of Ireland, France, Germany, Spain and Italy are countries in Europe. The capital cities of each are: Dublin, Paris, Berlin, Madrid and Rome.
- The Worlds five oceans: Atlantic, Pacific, Indian, Southern, Arctic.
- The equator is an imaginary line drawn around the centre of the Earth.
- Barrier Island is in Cape Canaveral which is in the state of Florida which is in the USA.
- The Village of Port Sunlight is in Wirral and is the legacy of William Hesketh Lever.
- The settlement of Birkenhead started with monks who established the priory.
Year 2 Learning Outcomes
- Name locate and identify the characteristics of the following countries in Europe and their capital cities: The of Republic of Ireland, France, Germany, Spain and Italy.
- Name and locate the world’s seven continents and five oceans.
- Identify the similarities and difference between Barrier Island, USA and Wirral.
Human and Physical Geography
- Know the seasonal and daily weather patterns in hot and cold countries of the world.
- Record daily weather and explore patterns in weather over time for Wirral and Barrier Island.
- Use human geographical vocabulary city, town, village, factory, farm, house, office, port, harbour, shop,
- Use physical geographical vocabulary accurately including beach, cliff, coast, forest, hill, mountain sea, river, soil, valley, vegetation, ocean, season and weather.
Geographical Skills and Fieldwork (The early settlement of Birkenhead, The Priory and Eastham Ferry)
- Use the four points of a compass: North, South, East and West.
- Use directional and locational language e.g. near, far, left, right
- To know the human and physical features of The Village of Port Sunlight, using observations, photographs, plans, maps, atlases, aerial photographs
- Focus study on The Early settlement of Birkenhead and how it has changed over time.