Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

How will you know if my son/daughter needs extra help?

A pupil has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which cause for special education provision to be made for him or her. Children with additional needs are identified by the class teacher during half termly assessment meetings with senior management. They then request the involvement of the SENCo. The class teacher will inform parents of any concerns and will give information on interventions.

What should I do if I think my son/daughter may have special educational needs?

There is an open door policy for any parent who has a concern about a child. The recommended approach is to contact the class teacher and make an appointment to discuss the area of concern. Other members of staff are available such as the achievement mentor and SENCo.

How will staff support my son/daughter?

All relevant adults such as the class teacher, parents, SENCo speech therapist will be involved in writing a one page profile. The pupil’s contribution will be included also. It will be decided how the child will be supported, who by and for how long. On the governing body there is a responsible person for SEN who liases with the SENCo and Head Teacher. This will be explained in the schools SEN policy document which is available for parents to read. If there are any queries parents have got access to the Head Teacher and the SENCo who will explain the duties of the governors to the parent.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s/young person’s needs?

Throughout the child’s schooling assessments are completed regularly which provide a baseline and highlight gaps in the pupils learning. All pupils have targets that are reviewed half termly. In order for them to achieve their targets pupils receive a differentiated curriculum, group support and in some cases additional or individual interventions.

How will I know how my son/daughter is doing and how will you help me to support my child’s/young person’s learning?

In addition to three parents evenings and annual report there will be opportunities to discuss the desired outcomes and progress with the relevant staff. A child’s one page profile will be reviewed at least annually and parents will be involved. All children have targets which can be compared against national expectations. School planning is based on the national curriculum and can be discussed at any time. Parents are encouraged to engage with school and get involved through come and share activities and preparation for early years. Children also have weekly homework and home school reading books. Opportunities will be offered to parents to share in their child’s education. E.g use of the school library.

What support will there be for my son/daughter’s overall well being?

Specialist school staff are available to support children and their parents. The achievement mentor and the school counsellor amongst other staff support children who require pastoral, medical and social support. All medicines are kept in a locked out of reach cupboard in the secretaries room and require written parental consent. A record is kept of all children on medication. The school has a behaviour policy and positive reinforcement is the strategy used. Parents are involved if pupils go on report and strategies are discussed involving the pupils themselves. The attendance officer checks on all non attendees and strategies are put in place to support families for whom attendance is an issue. Children are motivated to improve their attendance and a reward system is in place. Children who have a one page profile will make a contribution and have opportunities to discuss their concerns. All children do have the opportunity to share their views through the school council.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by you?

School can advise on specialist service available in the community through the local offer. The school offer will highlight what is available through the school such as access to an educational psychologist and speech and language therapist. The designated teacher for safeguarding and the achievement mentor can support pupils and parents through gateway services.

What training have the staff supporting my son/daughter with SEND had or are having?

The school SENCo has achieved the SENCo award. In house and external training has been received and is also being planned for future dates. Training has been received on such areas as ASD, Dyslexia, Moderate learning difficulties. The Educational Psychologist is able to provide training for whole staff and individuals.

How will my son/daughter be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

All planned trips are risk assessed and individual support will be given where appropriate. The school’s mini bus has allowed pupils access to outside activities. Pupils who require health care plans will have areas of particular need highlighted and necessary support will be put in place for all activities in and outside school. Parents have full involvement with all areas that require access and will be given prior notice of school trips in order for them to accompany their child if they wish to.

How accessible is your setting/school/college environment?

The accessibility plan highlights areas that are fully wheelchair accessible. The extensions to the school have improved the visual environment by the increase in light. There is a disabled toilet available. Where appropriate children are measured for breezie chairs through the occupational therapy service. School can request an environmental assessment for a pupil who may require adjustments. Parents who have Polish as their first language have the support of a polish speaking member of staff who works with the children who have Polish as their first language. School can call upon EAL services.

How will you prepare and support my son/daughter to join your setting/school/college, transfer to a new setting/school/collage or the next stage of education and life?

Parents of F1 pupils and new pupils are invited to attend talks, open days and tour the building with their child in order to familiarise their child with the school setting and introduce them to members of staff and pupils. Parents are given the school prospectus and can also go online to view the school offer and SEN policy. Transition from Our Lady and St Edward’s school to other settings involves visits by the pupil to the new setting with parents and a staff member where appropriate. In some circumstances a graduated transition is planned where the pupils have a regular visit to the receiving school and in some instances continues to have links with the school in order to maintain friendships. Secondary transfer involves meeting with appropriate staff and visits for parents and pupils. Enhanced transition will involve additional school visits in order for a pupil to familiarise him/herself with the geography of the school and to meet staff. Parents and pupils will have an opportunity to share with the secondary staff their anxieties, needs, concerns and in some cases pastoral care can be agreed.

How are your resources allocated and matched to my son/daughters needs?

Resources are allocated according to pupil need. The need is first assessed and this involves the views of parents, pupils, outside agencies, observations and assessments. The views of the class teacher and other staff and the feelings and perceptions of the pupil are paramount. A graduated framework is applied in most circumstances. If the pupil’s needs cannot be met by year group resources then additional interventions may become necessary. Regular reviews will indicate the levels of progress to achieve desired outcomes and the degree of support required to meet the pupil’s needs. The graduated framework would not apply to a pupil who’s needs demanded immediate intervention. The school’s aim is to match the level of support to the pupil’s needs/disability in order for him/her to access the curriculum. Parents are involved in the decision making at all times.

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my son/daughter will receive?

Information is gathered from all parties especially parents and including outside agencies such as health service. Assessments and observations are undertaken and the views of all staff are considered. This information is shared at year group assessment meetings and the pupils area of need is identified. For children who have complex needs advice can be sought from the school Educational Psychologist and Speech Therapist. A decision is made how the pupil’s needs can best be met and the level of support required.

Who can I contact for further information?

Contact can be made to the school by phone, email and face to face meetings

  • School Office (Main school Year 1 -6) 0151 652 3366
  • School Office (Annexe F1 and F2) 0151 653 5905
  • Class Teacher
  • Head Teacher –Mrs Elaine McGunigall
  • SENCo- Mrs Clare Sutton
  • Attendance officer – Mrs Joanne McLaughlin
  • Achievement Mentor – Mrs Debbie Smith
  • SEN Governor – Mrs Debbie Smith Outside experts/agencies are available to support staff. The health service has provided information and training for health care plans e.g. Diabetes specialist nurse has provided whole school training. Hearing and vision services have supported parents and staff as well as pupil. Occupational Therapy have delivered training on sensory processing difficulties to staff. Staff have visited specialist placements and have received training from special schools such as Hayfield where the outreach team have worked with pupils who have ASD and MLD difficulties. Staff can call upon outside agencies cited in the Local Offer and access to Occupational Health, Physiotherapy services and the ADHD nurse can be sought through the School Nurse.
  • Can staff get extra help from experts outside if they need to? (e.g. advice and training on medical conditions)
  • School has an open door policy but it is always recommended that an appointment is made through the school office in order to ensure the availability of the appropriate person. School can signpost parents to Wirral’s Local Offer, Wirral SEND partnership which is an information, advice and support service for parents.How will information about the child be circulated to all members of staff and who will be responsible for that?

    All pupil records and information are confidential and are kept in a locked filing area. Appropriate information is passed to staff who are involved with the pupil. The main responsibility for the circulation of information lies with the SENCo. Staff are provided with a white special educational needs file which is passed from year to year and contains only the necessary information to support the pupil. Throughout the year there is an exchange of information regarding the pupil’s progress at assessment meetings and reviews. Support Plans and One Page Profiles when reviewed will be passed to the SENCo.


    October 2017 to be reviewed October 2018

Student Login